Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Peet's Coffee: Major Dickason's Blend

Cost: $13.95 per lb.
Cost Per Cup: $0.73
Aroma Rating: 4.8/5.0
Taste Rating: 4.9/5.0
Packaging Rating: 3.9/5.0
Would I Buy This Product: Yes
Website: http://www.peets.com/

Well, my first review is Major Dickason's Blend from Peet's Coffee. I must say, I am very impressed with this coffee, and I am glad to be reviewing such a good product first. I had the pleasure of dealing with Ginny from Peet's, who was able to send me a free bag of Major Dickason's Blend coffee. Thanks!

Now, let's start with the review. I was extremely impressed with this coffee. I am a frequent coffee drinker. When I have time, I start my morning with a glass (more like a pot) of Folgers, and sometimes I make a trip to Starbucks. I never realized what I was missing out on. Folgers is a good brand of coffee, but Peet's impressed me so much, I think I might stick with them from now on. It was 8 pm when I got home today in the frigid Chicago temperatures. I found a package on my doorstep, and what do you know, it's my coffee! I open the bag, and a beautiful smell came out of it. You just don't get this with Folgers! If you want your house to smell nice, just open a bag of Major Dickason's blend and place it in the center of a room.

The taste was just as good as I expected. I added some sugar and drank a cup. It has a very distinct taste. It is very hard to describe, other than "really good coffee". Even after you drank your first cup, the taste stays with you in your mouth, but it doesn't have a bad aftertaste like other coffees. In fact, the aftertaste was just as good as the first sip! It sounds strange, but your really have to try a cup of Major Dickason's blend to believe it.

The packaging was average. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. It was an average bag of coffee. It didn't come in a tin, but I suppose that if you get your coffee in the mail, you don't want to pay a fortune. The bag said "Major Dickason's" and "Roasted on 1/06/10". I am impressed with the "roasted on" date. Peet's really wants the customer to know how fresh their coffee really is, which not only shows on the bag, but in the aroma and taste as well. (1/13/10: Packaging rating updated, read explanation at end of post)

I honestly don't like writing overly-positive reviews, but this review was 100% honest. Major Dickason's blend was THE BEST coffee I ever had. Yes, even compared to Starbucks, Peet's Coffee wins. The next time I order coffee, Peet's will be my choice. They have many flavors, but claim on their website that Major Dickason's blend is one of their "most popular" blends. If you don't believe me, try Peet's for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

To order Major Dickason's blend online, click here.


UPDATE: 1/13/10


I received more information about Peet's packaging. Peet's saw the review, and sent me this response about their packaging:

I should mention that, to my knowledge, most specialty coffee roasters package their coffee in bags rather than tins. Within a few hours of roasting, our coffee is put into the bags, all of the air is flushed out, and the bag is sealed. You’ll notice a valve on the outside of the bag – this is a one way valve that keeps oxygen out, but allows the gases that are always emitted by freshly roasted coffee to escape. Without such a valve, freshly roasted coffee would cause the bag to explode. As far as I know there’s no way to have such a valve with a tin. So any coffee packaged in tin is not going to be very fresh.

With this explanation, Peet's gets a new rating of 4.9 for packaging. Near-perfect coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment